The Queer Resource Center of the Claremont Colleges (QRC) provides support, resources, leadership development, and an inclusive and welcoming space for all members of the Claremont Colleges community to explore issues relating to sexual and gender identities. Through collaboration with students, faculty, and staff the QRC creates opportunities for fellowship, thoughtful dialogue, and the pursuit of knowledge. We seek to foster a safer, more diverse, and inclusive campus by educating and engaging the 7C community about the multiplicity of sexual and gender identities. The QRC does this through:
Creating a Safer Space
- Providing a visible, comfortable, and accessible center for the diverse communities of the Claremont Colleges to build community, study, and explore issues of sexual and gender identity.
- Actively challenging all forms of oppression, including but not limited to racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, biphobia, xenophobia, classism, and ableism, and actively working toward justice.
- Prioritizing lived experiences and centering voices of those who have multiple marginalized identities.
Providing Access to Resources and Support
- Creating accessible, open, and inclusive student-driven programming that encourages learning, growth, and healing.
- Recognizing and responding to the changing needs of diverse sexual and gender minoritized communities.
- Building and maintaining strong coalitions with on-campus student organizations, faculty, staff, and alumni at The Claremont Colleges.
Encouraging Personal Growth and Identity Development
- To encourage and support holistic identity development through an intersectional lens.
- Continuously searching to better understand our privileged and oppressed identities and the ways in which multiple identities influence how we see and engage in our communities, and our positionality in working toward justice.
- Promoting individual and community health and wellness — physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual — and recognizing the importance of self care.
- Encouraging diverse leadership, community engagement, and service to communities in and surrounding the Claremont Colleges.