Queer, Questioning, and Allied Mentor Program (QQAMP)
The Queer, Questioning, and Allied Mentor Program (QQAMP) mentors are students from the seven Claremont Colleges who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, or allies of the queer community. They are trained to provide support and informed guidance on any queer-related issue, including, but not limited to:
- Self acceptance as lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, transgender, or intersex, or any other identity associated with the community
- Coming out to friends and/or family
- Finding resources at the college, local, and national levels
- Learning what it means to be a good ally to the queer community
- Working through confusion about sexual orientation and/or gender identity
- Meeting other queer, questioning, and allied students on the campuses and in the surrounding community
- Understanding how sexual orientation and/or gender identity intersect with other aspects of identity, including race, sex, religion, physical ability, culture, class, etc.
As a mentee in the program, you will have one-on-one interaction with two mentors, as well as the opportunity to participate in events and meet more people within the program and the wider queer community of the Claremont Colleges. The role of a QQAMP mentor is primarily to welcome them into the Claremont community and provide them with opportunities to become involved in the queer community, through programming and developing personal relationships.
If you want to apply to be a mentee, click on the “Mentee Information” tab under “QQAMP” in the left side menu. The application you submit is sent as an e-mail to the QQAMP account; only the Head Mentor and whichever mentors they match you with will be able to see it. Anyone at any of the seven colleges in any year may apply to be a mentee. Mentee applications are accepted throughout the year, initial pairings will begin the week of September 25th. We highly encourage you to submit your application prior to that date. Shortly after applying, you will be matched to your mentors, and they will contact you promptly.
If you wish to apply to be a mentor, Click here for the rolling QQAMP Mentor Application.
If you have any questions, please contact the QQAMP Head Mentors at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you and we look forward to meeting you all!
2017-2018 Head Mentors
Alondra Torres-Navarro, Harvey Mudd College ’19
*We are currently in the process of hiring a second QQAMP Head Mentor! If you are interested becoming a QQAMP Head Mentor for 2017-2018, check out our QRC Hiring Page for more information!