left-arrowleft-arrowright-arrowleft-arrowAsset 9


Pomona College has gender inclusive housing available for all interested students. You can find detailed information on how to opt-in to gender inclusive housing on Pomona Housing and Residential Life website.

Name Change

We are very committed to working with trans students to enable them to use chosen names at the College.  While your legal name cannot be changed except by court order, it is possible to have your chosen name appear on the class rosters that faculty use on My.Pomona, in the My.Pomona student directory, on the Sakai site, and in your email username.

To begin the process of changing to your preferred name, fill out the Preferred (“Chosen”) Name Memorandum of Understanding form.  Once the form is completed, your chosen name will appear in the following places:

  • My.Pomona and Sakai
  • Student Directory
  • Faculty Class lists and advisee rosters
  • Email account
  • ID Card

The Registrar will also inform the alumni office and the mail room of your chosen name. Please allow for two weeks to see the appropriate changes.

Additionally, you can list your pronouns, which are then shared with the faculty whose classes you are enrolled across the 5 undergraduate colleges.

For any questions, issues, or concerns, contact the following people:

  • My.Pomona or class roster: Erin Collins, Registrar
  • New email username: Julie Journitz, Director of Client Services in the I.T. department
  • New Sakai username: Mary McMahon, Director of Instructional Services
  • Name on your mailbox or you are not getting your mail: Glenn Gillespie, Mail Services Coordinator
  • Emails and contact information from the Career Development Office: Mary Raymond, Associate Deans of Students and Director of the Career Development Office
  • Correspondence after graduation: Craig Arteaga-Johnson ’96, Assistant Vice President for Advancement, Alumni, and Parent Engagement

Please be mindful that our names appear in many places, and the legal name is the default for the majority of records–so our efforts to support chosen names cannot be completely comprehensive without a legal name change.  There are also purposes for which only legal names are used, for example in student accounts and financial aid.

If you legally change your name, contact the Registrar’s office; all College documents will then refer to your new legal name.