Here at the Hive, we love being a launching pad for curious and collaborative minds like yours! We offer a space where students on staff can intentionally play and explore their creative potential in a variety of ways. You’ll get the opportunity to work on self-directed projects while collaborating with professional designers and like-minded peers.
We look forward to incorporating your skills and individual experiences into the Hive’s future happenings!
Our student staffers work closely with full-time staff:
- Supporting the smooth operation of the Hive
- Keeping the space well stocked, organized, and clean for every user
- Collaborating on human-centered approaches to developing the Hive as a 5C resource
- Developing makerspace and skill share programming
- Collecting demographic and qualitative research from various platforms
- Photographing and digitally archiving events
- Storytelling and social media strategy
Hive student staffers have a wide array of skills that they can develop as the Hive grows, and we love providing the opportunity!
- Have you attended events put on by the Hive? Visit our Upcoming Events page to check out our workshops!
- Are you familiar with the Hive space? Visit our Room and Spaces page to see the rooms at the Hive!
- Do you have an interest in bringing 5C students together?
- Are you motivated to practice and increase your design, maker, media, writing, and all-around varied skill set?
- Do you have time for our required, paid, monthly lunch meetings and team meetings?
- Do you want to expand you and your colleagues’ engagement with your disciplines?
- Would you like to offer a workshop here?
- Can you work 6-9+ hours a week, including evenings and weekends?
We think that Hive student staffers should:
- Understand our six core principles (Check out our core principles page for more information)
- Have a collaborative mindset
- Have a bias toward hospitality and making the Hive an open and inclusive space
- Have a heart for hosting — lots of users come into the Hive every day, and we help them explore and expand their creative confidence
- Continuously ask themselves, “What can I do to make this space the best it can be for everyone who walks through the door?”
- Be aware that the Hive is a space constantly in flux!
- Be comfortable with ambiguity — we do a lot of prototyping and iteration, so many features of the Hive change often
- Be responsible and personally accountable
- Be a self-starter who can work independently
- Not see mistakes as failures, but as opportunities for growth!
Our student staff application for Fall 2023 is closed. Keep an eye out for the application to go live again in December!
Contact us for a Job Description and Application
The Claremont Colleges
130 East 7th Street
Claremont, California 91711
9am-9pm | Monday – Thursday
9am-7pm | Friday
1-5pm| Saturday & Sunday